Sunday, September 18, 2011

Swim

    Have you read Donald Miller? Kevin introduced me to his work several years ago. I have enjoyed every book I've read from Miller and now I enjoy his blog. The following quote is from one of Donald Miller's posts .... "Jesus is very comfortable with us not understanding Him. This seems like an injustice in an age where every Sunday we have things explained to us and have our control increased over whatever dynamic we face. But “understanding” is not a character trait that Jesus seems to value. He’s not praising the smarties. Instead, he’s pleased with the faithful, those who will follow when there seems to be no reason to follow, and when it looks like they are going to have to do a hard thing and there’s no way out." 
    This reminds me of a story Kevin has told me many times over; but each time he tells it, it's still fresh. That's because it's about life lessons. He tells the story of growing up with very little in the way of material things. Yet his parents were resourceful and Kevin says, as a child, he never remembers worrying about what he needed. He just always knew what he needed would be provided. In this particular story, Kevin and his dad were fishing in "homemeade" boats - basically inner tubes, sewn together denim "boat-seats", and...that's it. They floated Atoka Lake for hours, catching catfish, stringing them and trailing it behind their individual water vessels. About 3 strung catfish into the trip, Kevin heard a distinct "hissing." When he inquired of his dad, the "hissing" was quickly explained away with the best description possibly being that one of the catfish's inner floats had probably been punctured. To a 12 year old boy, that was good enough. After all, Dad said it; it had to be true. In a few moments, Kevin's "boat" began to sink. What his dad quickly realized was that there was no punctured catfish's float. Their own "floats" had been punctured by one of these whiskered bottom-feeders!  There they were, sinking in the lake, at least a quarter of a mile from shore. There really wasn't anything to do but swim. Kevin recalls that his dad calmly told him that they were going to see how far they could swim. So that's what they began to do. With his father behind him, giving him a push after every other stroke when Kevin got tired, the two of them gradually did make it to shore. Kevin doesn't remember being scared or really being that tired after the "adventure," as he fondly remembers it. He only realized the seriousness of their plight when he saw his dad stretched out on the shore for quite awhile, coughing, gasping for air, trying to catch his breath, and I'm sure, thanking God for protection. Later, his dad shared with Kevin that he thought they were going to drown that day.  But Kevin was never even concerned. All Kevin said was, "I was with my dad. I knew I was going to be alright."
    Kevin didn't have to understand how far they were from shore. He didn't have to question his dad about his swimming abilities.  He never felt compelled to ask if there "was a better way" of getting to safety. He simply trusted his father. That's it. I think this fits so well with the part of Donald Miller's post above. Jesus wasn't concerned with how much his disciples knew, who their parents were or how many credentials they had. What pleased him was their belief in Him. They were with Jesus, doing hard things. Because they believed in Jesus, giving up wasn't an option.
    These stories give me reason to pause and reflect. When I encounter trials, like the cancer diagnosis and pending treatment I am in the midst of now, do I "consider it joy" knowing that my perseverance is about to increase? Do I look forward to enduring the trial knowing that God has given me an incredible faith that pleases Him? Do I realize that it's okay because my Father is with me and He'll give me a push when I'm tired and think I can't go on? With all the glory going to God, I believe I do.


Here I've shared a music video with you from Jacks Mannequin, " Swim." Kevin shared this with me about three years ago. It's a song that meant a lot to him when he fought his own battle with cancer. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

1 comment:

  1. Yes! Amen! We must never 'lean on our own understanding." Just too many things we will never understand. I love your blogs, Chris. Thanks so much for sharing. This blog reminded me so much of my own father''s calmness in the midst of crisis. I'm praying for you daily. Love to watch you both "keep the faith."

    ReplyDelete